Posted: 08 February 2011 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  761
Joined  2010-06-10
Offical Server

Gnarlwood PvE - Guardian

The Wombat Legion

--------------------------------Original Post-------------------------------------------------
I just wanted to bring to everyone's attention that the MMO Rift goes into it's last open beta event on 2/15.

You can sign up and very likely get in here:

http://www.riftgame.com/en/beta/index.php

I played in the beta this weekend. I wasn't blown away and I have some complaints and worries about the game, however I find myself wanting to play more and wishing I could still login.

I plan on preordering the game and playing for a month just to see how it holds up. I plan on playing on the Defiant side but I'm not opposed to playing Guardians if anyone wants to play and decides they hate the Defiants (I like their lore better from what I know so far).

I'll post my server/faction/name once open beta starts in case anyone wants to join me.[/size]

Posted: 10 February 2011 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
Here's a few short videos previewing some of the zones (in no particular order)

http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/zones/GloamwoodVid.html
(read more)

http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/zones/StonefieldVid.html
(read more)

http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/zones/ScarletGorgeVid.html
(read more)

http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/zones/MeridianVid.html
(read more)

http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/zones/IronPineVid.html
(read more)

http://www.riftgame.com/en/world/zones/SanctumVid.html
(read more)

Posted: 10 February 2011 09:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
Open Beta is in 5 days. No requirement to get in, you just need to make an account and register(here). If you want to check this out, Open Beta is definitely the time to do it.

The client download is very fast. I was getting 2Mbps + the entire download so it only took around 45 minutes. You can download the client early (right here)

E: I just tested this on another PC. You will need to login in order to UPDATE the client (the 45 minute or so part) but you can download the client without an account. If you're wanting to play on the 15th, I'd recommend updating the client so that there's not as much to update when open beta starts).

Posted: 15 February 2011 09:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
Open Beta starts today at 10 PST.

I am on Dayblind as Defiant

Characters:
Leahan
Nahael
Matea

Also as Guardian:
Guardiahan

Posted: 16 February 2011 11:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
I hate twitter.

However, it's now built into RIFT so I'm using it for screenshots:

http://twitter.com/#!/LeahanTWL

Posted: 19 February 2011 04:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
Okay, I'm liking this game a lot more after playing a bit more in the 10-16 or so zone.

Evie and I spent the better part of the morning fighting back a massive Fire invasion. There were fire mobs everywhere and rifts left unchecked. We were to low level to do a whole lot but still had fun picking off mobs from the invasions to help push them back and destroy their foothold.

After that, we got to quest. Only to see another fire foothold sitting on top of our quest hub. A mass of people assembled and we battled them back (much shorter than the full on invasion, but still fun). We got a fair about of currency rewards and XP. Good morning.

Posted: 19 February 2011 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2010-11-30
ITT Leahan carries on a long-winded conversation with himself. In related news, everyone else fails to give fuck. Tyriel in particular gives zero fuck.

Posted: 19 February 2011 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
There are people, including people NOT in this guild, that are actually playing this game. So if you don't care, shut up.

I've spent a lot of time playing this game and researching it to provide information for people who may be interested.

Posted: 19 February 2011 08:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2010-12-01
I got in the beta early January. I felt it was nothing but a WoW clone trying to siphon off that market. It has done nothing innovative. I also felt the characters were ugly, the factions were stupid, the prestige class system was clunky, and the PvP I could take it or leave it.

As far as an argument saying that I shouldn't compare WoW to RIFT goes. It's hard not to compare the two when Trion has gone out of its way to do just that itself.

I wouldn't buy it.
 Signature 

School? Ain’t dat da damn place where they got all dem uhh lets see, whatcha call um uhh? Fold outs covered in scriblins wrote up all over.

Posted: 19 February 2011 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
methyl - 19 February 2011 08:39 PM
I got in the beta early January. I felt it was nothing but a WoW clone trying to siphon off that market. It has done nothing innovative. I also felt the characters were ugly, the factions were stupid, the prestige class system was clunky, and the PvP I could take it or leave it.

As far as an argument saying that I shouldn't compare WoW to RIFT goes. It's hard not to compare the two when Trion has gone out of its way to do just that itself.

I wouldn't buy it.

What level did you get to? 10? The Rifts and invasions are incredibly fun. They may not be innovative, (an expanded execution of the public quest system of WAR) but that doesn't really make it any less fun. Aside from being fun they offer some damn good rewards.

The factions are stupid? Care to expand? I find both factions fairly interesting and I'm torn between which one I like better. Both have a fairly good reason for the stance they take.

I don't even know what you mean by "prestige class system." The class system in this game is the best I've seen in any MMO allowing for lots of customization AND the ability to be any class from your chosen archetype AND have 4 different specs at once.

The characters are ugly...okay.

Your entire post just sounds uninformed and seems like it's intended just to further upset me. If people have something to contrubte, please do. However, try to provide a little more information to back your opinions.

RE: WoW clone. I mean, yeah. You have quests, you level, there are cross-faction battlegrounds, there are classes that resemble (some A LOT) classes in WoW. But I mean, it's not a clone. It's taken a lot of WoW successful features and implemented them. This is good buisness sense. Any competitor that fails do to this is a moron. You take what's popular from your competitor and implement it and improve it in your product.

Please, don't buy it. There are enough trolls in the general channels as it is. (I expect they'll be gone once the game cost money).

Posted: 19 February 2011 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-30
lolumad?

Posted: 19 February 2011 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
Tyriel - 19 February 2011 09:12 PM
lolumad?

Contrary opinions are more than welcome. If they can't be presented in a fashion that's useful for others who may be reading the thread, however, then go away.

I am trying to gather information and present what I've learned about the game so that people have an opinion from someone in the guild. I really don't appreciate you all coming in here and shitting on the thread. There are plenty of threads we have that I don't care about or don't really have anything constructive to contribute. So I don't post.

If you're not going to contribute to the topic, stay out of the thread.

Posted: 19 February 2011 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  202
Joined  2010-12-01
facepalm-over90000.png

The one time I wasn't trolling.

I should've just left it to Tyriel to voice my exact opinion on the game.
----------

Listen, I waited 3 weeks to get into the beta. I really wanted for it to be good, I was checking my e-mail more often than a bitch on facebook for the beta invite. The website hyped me up, the videos hyped me up. When I finally get in, I found it entertaining for a while. Though all in all it was a big let down.

Though, now I have to say it. RIFT sucks. I may as well play WoW forever because it's all the same shit.

So what if they took the one good thing from Warhammer? So what if they if they took some good aspects of other games? That doesn't mean they did a very good job at it.

It's still a WoW clone. I want nothing to do with it. Nothing about the game compelled me to want to play it any further than 15 levels. It'll end up with all those other WoW competitors, Warhammer, Age of Conan, Aion, etc. Those were pretty cool games, right? I don't see anyone playing those anymore.

Though, go ahead. Take my opinion to heart. Lose sleep over it. LET LOOSE THE RAGE.
 Signature 

School? Ain’t dat da damn place where they got all dem uhh lets see, whatcha call um uhh? Fold outs covered in scriblins wrote up all over.

Posted: 19 February 2011 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2009-02-26
I for one am interested in hearing more about Rift. I've hated WoW for ages now and I've said my reasons for it numerous times before. This doesn't mean WoW isn't a good game, obviously it is or it wouldn't be so successful, but it does not live up to my personal preferences for an mmo. So yeah, I like hearing about new promising mmos. Do I expect anything to ever trump WoW? Nope, but trying new things is fun. Furthermore, it should be known that WoW has ripped off WAR before when they allowed you to queue for bg's from anywhere. WAR had it first, Blizz thought it was a good idea and added it. So why is this ok for Blizz to do but not other games? Like Leahan said, it's just plain smart business... you use what works.

Lastly, Leahan's put a lot of work into researching, testing Rift out, and informing the guild about it. If you aren't into the game, that's cool... but threadshitting is a pretty dick move imo. If you can't contribute to the conversation, don't post.
 Signature 

“To you, the day I destroyed your village was the most important day of your life. To me, it was Tuesday.”

Posted: 19 February 2011 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
Perhaps you misunderstood.

I don't care what you think about the game. I care what you have to say about it. But if all I get is an opinion without specifics, it doesn't really help me.

I've spent a lot of time playing this game and researching it to provide information for people who may be interested.

This thread and the accompanying article (mostly the article) were created for people who might be interested in the game. If it can persuade or dissuade someone then it's doing it's job.

What I don't appreciate are posts that do not contribute to this. Your post, while offering your opinion, does not offer much else. What faction did you play? What souls? What was the final nail in the coffin? Do you remember the beta number you played in? 4? 5? Any stories to share about why it sucked? That's what I'm looking for.

Posted: 20 February 2011 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-30
Alright, my original intention was just to poke fun at Leahan, which is one of those things I think we all know I do all the time. But frankly, you're being a little overbearing about this. You didn't set rules for the thread, so invalidating Wp's opinion because he didn't take the time to write an essay about it seems a little excessive. If the thread is for people to discuss the game, then opinions are perfectly valid bits of that discussion.

Obviously I haven't played it myself, so I can't contribute anything useful to the discussion, but from what I've read about it it just doesn't seem that interesting to me. I'm also not a huge fan of the art direction.

If your feeling is that I shouldn't be in here expressing opinions like that, then maybe your posts should be articles. Discussion forums are generally going to be used for discussion. Alternatively, you could just update the OP to include what you do and don't want in here. If a thread is a "don't make jokes or make fun of me or shoot the shit" zone, you need to tell us beforehand.

I'm sorry that I started this. Feel free to delete the offending posts.

1 of 4

Visitor Statistics
 Extras
Total Registered Members: 69
Total Topics: 474
Total Replies: 7369
Total Posts: 7843
The most visitors ever was 88, on November 12, 2014 10:17 PM
Total Logged-in Users: 0
Total Anonymous Users: 0
Total Guests: 12
   RSS 2.0   Atom Feed

EE Discussion Forum - Ver. 2.1.1
Newest Members:  JaylerinaewenDeadhand
Active Members:   

Username:  Remember Me? | Forgot password?
Password:      Not a member? Register | Member List