Forgot password? | Register

2 of 4

RIFT

Posted: 20 February 2011 01:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  291
Joined  2009-02-26
It's not about that, we're just trying to keep the thread on topic. There's been a lot of threadjacking/threadshitting going on lately on these forums and we're (well at least I am) trying to be more strict about moderating that kind of thing on our new forums. That being said, let's keep things on track from now on and get back to talking about Rift.
 Signature 

“To you, the day I destroyed your village was the most important day of your life. To me, it was Tuesday.”

Posted: 20 February 2011 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2268
Joined  2010-06-28
Leahan, Flik was saying something about artifacts you search for when he was talking to you last night. Did you find out any more info about those? It kind of sounded like they were "easter egg" type things you get.
 Signature 

Lady Wenaeleyn - Balance Druid - Lvl 85

Y___Y
{ o,O } I will polish your flesh with moon anger!
(\___/) Hoot!
(’‘’) (’‘’)

749160rxUzW.png

Posted: 20 February 2011 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  761
Joined  2010-06-10
Lady Wenaeleyn - 20 February 2011 01:12 PM
Leahan, Flik was saying something about artifacts you search for when he was talking to you last night. Did you find out any more info about those? It kind of sounded like they were "easter egg" type things you get.

They are (from what I can tell) 100% fluff. You collect sets of them. For example, one was a set of 3 and it was called something like "College Pranks." They were found in an area near a mage college "Quicksilver College" and contained a belt of gender change, sleep pills, and I can't remember the third.

Anyway, you turn these in to an NPC in the capital city and he gives you a lucky coin. These coins are used to purchase things like non-combat pets and other fluff items.

Posted: 24 February 2011 05:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2010-11-30
For all you CQers, the guys over at Cadre declared for rift....on a pve server. Odd change of philosophy, thought yall might like to know.
 Signature 

“Sincerity is a much overrated virtue” -Milton Friedman

Posted: 24 February 2011 05:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-30
They'll be rolling on the Greybriar PVE server aparantly. Might have more thoughts on the matter later.
 Signature 

Posted: 24 February 2011 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
interestingly, Graybriar is the exact server I planned to roll on.

I am going Guardian. Too many damn 10 year olds running around Defiant. Also shorter warfront queue times as Guardian.

(This is based on observations from betas 6 and 7, live may well be quite different).

I will make an official post soon for any TWL members that want to play what our server and faction is. Since the input I've received is limited, I'm assuming most aren't playing and don't care what I pick.

I do hope that if anyone does end up picking this game, they would join up with me and any other TWL members.

E: Got this post backwards, whoops.

Posted: 24 February 2011 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
Whoops, actually I plan on doing Graybriar as Guardian. I can switch it to Gnarlwood if that makes a difference to anyone because I really don't care. Unless I Hear otherwise, I'm sticking with Graybriar.

E: Grr...I posted these from work and apparently got my servers mixed up. It should have said Graybriar in blace of Gnarlwood and Gnarlwood in place of Graybriar.

Sorry I didn't roll on the server your buds are on, feel free to play wherever you like, however, I'm standing by Gnarlwood as the official TWL server (Which right now doesn't really mean much). The notice about graybriar came a bit too late.

Posted: 25 February 2011 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
alright, I ended up rolling on Gnarlwood.

Posted: 25 February 2011 04:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Wombat Food
Rank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2010-12-01
my old everquest guild is actually rolled on Gnarlwood guardian side. to bad I own a mac and I can't play anything... ever...
 Signature 

Posted: 25 February 2011 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  320
Joined  2010-11-30
I have been very bored with WoW for well over a year now, yet I continue to play it. Mainly because I feel compelled to see the raiding content and becuase I enjoy playing the game with others, and I have been for the past 5 years. I havn't had the time to check out the beta for this game but I have been doing a great amount of research. Maybe this could be fun. Even if it is a "WoW Clone" it's still different. I have played the others that Methyl had mentioned, but with a differnt focus than those in which I had rolled with, PVP. Maybe if I took the PVE realm, I could expirence this game differently. I also think I may have enjoyed the previous MMOs had I wasn't in it just for the PvP minded goals that my previous guild had. I perfer the PVE aspect of MMOs, and this looks very appealing. If I decide to play, I'd most likley be a Dwarf Cleric.
 Signature 

Warcraft
Reiyudo 100 - Dwarf Shaman
Nfi 85 - Mage |  Bulworth 90 - Warrior

Diablo III
Reiyudo 60 - Wizard

Posted: 25 February 2011 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-30
Of course you'd be a damn dwarf!
 Signature 

Posted: 25 February 2011 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
Reiyudo - 25 February 2011 02:27 PM
I have been very bored with WoW for well over a year now, yet I continue to play it. Mainly because I feel compelled to see the raiding content and becuase I enjoy playing the game with others, and I have been for the past 5 years. I havn't had the time to check out the beta for this game but I have been doing a great amount of research. Maybe this could be fun. Even if it is a "WoW Clone" it's still different. I have played the others that Methyl had mentioned, but with a differnt focus than those in which I had rolled with, PVP. Maybe if I took the PVE realm, I could expirence this game differently. I also think I may have enjoyed the previous MMOs had I wasn't in it just for the PvP minded goals that my previous guild had. I perfer the PVE aspect of MMOs, and this looks very appealing. If I decide to play, I'd most likley be a Dwarf Cleric.

Well I still disagree with the WoW clone statement Wp made. It does have a lot of similarities to WoW, this is true, but it also has things you won't find in WoW. If you're unsure, wait a bit and see how the current community reacts and see how many people are still playing. I played both Aion and War but gave them both up after 1-2 months. If this can hold me longer, that's a good sign.

I could see getting bored with this game just like I get bored with WoW. Not because it's bad or boring to start, but because after a while, you're just doing the same thing. I don't really see a good way around this, but Rift is making a decent attempt with the dynamic layered content system.

If you have any specific questions about the game let me know. I've written up most of what I know in the article but I do need to update the article a little.

Posted: 25 February 2011 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-11-30
Rift is a WoW clone.
WoW is an everquest clone.
Everquest in just UO in 3d.
UO is just a graphical MUD.

MMOs and RPGs in general are going to contain some design similarities, that's part of the nature of the genre. People didn't call Sonic the Hedgehog a Mario clone because it had jumping and item collection.

The questions I have with Rift are not easily answered without me actually playing it:

Is the lore interesting?
Is the content engaging and varied?
Is there a significant level grind that requires experiencing a great part of the lore/content?
Does the persistant world encourage group play?
Is the developement of my character an ongoing and challenging task?

If I spent some time in game I would have these answered- WoW met my expectations when it was released, as did warhammer, the difference was the final question:

Will my friends play?
 Signature 

Posted: 25 February 2011 06:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2268
Joined  2010-06-28
Stucifer - 25 February 2011 05:52 PM
the final question:

Will my friends play?

This always ends up being my final question too. I played Age of Conan, WAR, and Aion...both for only a few months before I quit. All the games were fun, but what made me stop in the end was the fact that it was me and Flik and maybe one other person playing. I always come back to WoW because I know there is a decent size group of people to chat with and do things with.

I'm old (lawlz) and I don't have the patience I used to when it comes to getting involved with a new group of people or a new guild. I run my own guild in WoW, and I just don't think I would enjoy hopping into someone else's after so long. raspberry

If it's going to turn into a "single player RPG" I would just rather not pay a monthly sub for it, unfortunately.

That was just a tangent on my general feelings on MMOs obviously and doesn't mean anything good or bad about Rift. I might still give it a try eventually if I end up with extra money (which I don't have right now).
 Signature 

Lady Wenaeleyn - Balance Druid - Lvl 85

Y___Y
{ o,O } I will polish your flesh with moon anger!
(\___/) Hoot!
(’‘’) (’‘’)

749160rxUzW.png

Posted: 26 February 2011 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  320
Joined  2010-11-30
Rolled a Dwarf Cleric Shaman/Druid on Graybriar last night with Gogs.
 Signature 

Warcraft
Reiyudo 100 - Dwarf Shaman
Nfi 85 - Mage |  Bulworth 90 - Warrior

Diablo III
Reiyudo 60 - Wizard

2 of 4

Visitor Statistics
 Extras
Total Registered Members: 69
Total Topics: 473
Total Replies: 7366
Total Posts: 7839
The most visitors ever was 88, on November 12, 2014 10:17 PM
Total Logged-in Users: 0
Total Anonymous Users: 0
Total Guests: 5
   RSS 2.0   Atom Feed

EE Discussion Forum - Ver. 2.1.1
Newest Members:  JaylerinaewenDeadhand
Active Members:   

Username:  Remember Me? | Forgot password?
Password:      Not a member? Register | Member List