Forgot password? | Register

3 of 4

RIFT

Posted: 27 February 2011 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  761
Joined  2010-06-10
Allow me to attempt to answer. Answers will be fairly subjective.

Stucifer - 25 February 2011 05:52 PM
Is the lore interesting?

I find it to be, yes. It's not amazing but I've been reading the information I find in game. The zone I'm in appears to have it's own little story that's tied to the overarching plot. The story is somewhat wow-esque if you think about it. You've got 2 sides at war with each other but then also a 3rd (or 6, depending on how you count) side that's bent on the destruction of your world (Horde, Alliance, burning legion anyone?). Pretty basic plot but it's also fairly fleshed out from what I've seen so far.
Is the content engaging and varied?

I would say so far, yes. This is coming from about only 20 levels of 50, though. As you quest you can hop on a nearby rift and get XP/rewards there. Or you can ignore them. There are invasions to fight. The first dungeon is about level 15-20. You can also queue for Warfronts at level 10 and get some PvP. There IS only one starting zone, however. That's somewhat disappointing to me. However, the first "real" zone is fairly large and you'll find yourself traipsing about it and going back to areas you passed but couldn't' do before. It's pretty fun. I hit the 2nd zone in beta and it was amazing looking, but it seemed smaller.

Is there a significant level grind that requires experiencing a great part of the lore/content?

I don't quite understand your question. The leveling is not a grind, like AION was. It also doesn't take very long, not compared to wow 1-60 at least. You are dragged through the lore as you play, however, it's just a shorter experience than other MMOs. People are already 50 after just over 2 days. However, I believe they used dungeon grinding or something to get there.

Does the persistant world encourage group play?

It all but throws you in a group. During Rifts and invasions it's very easy to just group up. There's a public grouping system that allows players to just push a button to join a group with players around them. I've been in 40 man raids at level 15 to help combat invasions from the fire and life plans. There are also group quests and dungeons, which I think is more relavant to your question as you said "persistent" world. I've had to group to do a few of my main story quests, they required killing some elites. Also, if you're killing a quest mob or doing some quest, it's very easy to just hop into the group of someone else who is killing the same mobs. You can just target them and then click their "join public group" button. Everyone is in their own public group by default and can be joined to instantly (very handy if someone is stealing your quest mob!)

Is the developement of my character an ongoing and challenging task?

Can only speak for levels 1-20. So far so good. It's not HARD (so far) but it is constant. I'm comparing gear that I can get from rifts, crafting and PvP with quest rewards to try to optimize my tanking stats. I know there's a few tiers after you hit max level already so I'm assuming there's decent options when you max out.

Will friends play? Who knows. That's always the problem, as Wen said. I went into this game with the mindset "Eh, I'll plop down the cost for the game, play for the free month and then see where I stand. If I play alone (I am so far) then that's fine, it can still be fun.

Posted: 01 March 2011 02:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  232
Joined  2010-11-30
What I meant by significant level grind is that it takes a substantial investment to get to the end of the game, like everquest or vanilla WOW. You can think of it in terms of an asian grindfest, but I like to think of it with the above games in mind- the long grind was not indicative of a killing grind per se, but of a wealth of content that was necessary to get through to finish the game. Games that have short level grinds rush you to the (sometimes boring) endgame faster IMO- a big part of the fun is reaching the epic final encounters after playing through a huge world of stuff related to it in some way. Regardless, you answered all my questions, thank you.
 Signature 

“Sincerity is a much overrated virtue” -Milton Friedman

Posted: 01 March 2011 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
Stucifer - 01 March 2011 02:20 AM
What I meant by significant level grind is that it takes a substantial investment to get to the end of the game, like everquest or vanilla WOW. You can think of it in terms of an asian grindfest, but I like to think of it with the above games in mind- the long grind was not indicative of a killing grind per se, but of a wealth of content that was necessary to get through to finish the game. Games that have short level grinds rush you to the (sometimes boring) endgame faster IMO- a big part of the fun is reaching the epic final encounters after playing through a huge world of stuff related to it in some way. Regardless, you answered all my questions, thank you.

I agree with you. Wow 1-60 was a lot of fun and by the time you hit 60 you had seen so much. While rift is a shorter leveling experience it does feel close to the original wow experience but there is just less content. I don't feel like I'm being rushed though it, I just feel like there's less of it, fewer zones. It's been a good experience so far but it's fairly linear. The zones are good but there are fewer of them and no options really. I'd like more, but I'm happy with what there us.

hope that kinda makes sense.

There is apparently decent end game already with 2 more raids in development.we will see how it rates when more people get there

(Posted from phone)

E: to fix phone error

Posted: 01 March 2011 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2270
Joined  2010-06-28
Leahan - 01 March 2011 11:22 AM
The zones are good but there are fewer of them and no options really. Is
D like more, but I'm happy with what there us.

hope that kinda makes sense.

(Posted from phone)

No...that line didn't make sense. raspberry Your phone is playing tricks on you!
 Signature 

Lady Wenaeleyn - Balance Druid - Lvl 85

Y___Y
{ o,O } I will polish your flesh with moon anger!
(\___/) Hoot!
(’‘’) (’‘’)

749160rxUzW.png

Posted: 01 March 2011 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-11-08
Give up on any leveling experiences like vanilla wow, imo. Western gamers don't want to spend several months leveling anymore, the market has changed. Not to mention very few companies can create enough content to do so on a realistic budget. TOR is the only one that comes close, and even then I guarantee you that there isn't enough voice-acted content to warrant two months of leveling. I'd expect max levels by the end of the first week, and that's being generous.
 Signature 

Kalthuran - 85 Resto Druid
Ramthorn - 85 Prot Warrior
Ciderhelm - 85 Destro Lock
Namaste - 85 Disc Priest
Chochottie (<3 Sadra) - 85 Resto Shaman
Mcraider - 80 Unholy Dk

If addons are just a crutch for healing, forks are just a crutch for eating spaghetti and real carpenters pound in nails with their foreheads.

Posted: 01 March 2011 05:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
I wish you were wrong ram. But it's true. The majority want a fast leveling game so they can get on with end game and a company would be silly to ignore them and expect success. I, unlike most, don't see a long leveling experience as a grind so long as there is content (quests, dungeons, exploration). However I think most people expect to be able to reach max in a few weeks. I see the leveling and all as fun the first time but oh well. I'm still satisfied with rifts leveling but I mourn the loss of that first time leveling in wow

Posted: 01 March 2011 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1200
Joined  2009-12-10
Before we praise vanilla WoW leveling too much, we should remember all the gaps in questing that made grinding more efficient (or even necessary) at certain points.
 Signature 

Litebrite#1603

Sargeras Alliance
Zendalar - Windwalker & Mistweaver Monk
Garofelo - Vengeance Demon Hunter

Posted: 01 March 2011 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  232
Joined  2010-11-30
I do remember some gaps, but that was mostly because of content that was locked away in strange places (like stone talon mountains as alliance), still could have been improved, but I spent most of those gaps doing dungeons and had a great time with it.

We're sort of talking now about what gamers want- leveling or end game- and the current WoW model is all "end game," but those are profoundly different experiences. End game you can improve your character by playing just a few times a week, at times that are set by the availability of those with whom you are playing, whereas leveling content can be acted on at any time for any length of time. I find both experiences fun, but leveling through a serious curve seems to be much more engrossing and emersive to me (like vanilla wow). Lack of leveling content may not stop me from playing a game, I just don't want to jump into something with the wrong expectations or assumptions.
 Signature 

“Sincerity is a much overrated virtue” -Milton Friedman

Posted: 01 March 2011 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
Whitelight - 01 March 2011 06:39 PM
Before we praise vanilla WoW leveling too much, we should remember all the gaps in questing that made grinding more efficient (or even necessary) at certain points.

Yeah this is true, it may have been more efficient to grind sometimes but I never found myself without at least SOME quest or dungeon to do. Granted, some of the quests were awful and kind of a grind themselves, but I still enjoyed the leveling.

Posted: 01 March 2011 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2010-11-30
I spent 40-43 grinding in the Hinterlands, and it sucked. Getting a group together for instances in vanilla was kind of a bitch, too.

Of course, my leveling experience was probably non-typical because I quit twice during it, the second time at level 58.

Posted: 02 March 2011 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  320
Joined  2010-11-30
So. After playing this for a few days now I have become somewhat disappointed already. I mean, it held my interests for a little while but then has turned into a huge let down. The quests are not interesting. The Rifts get old and repetitative after doing about 20 or so. The world is small and everyone in the same level range is in the same zones. There is no alternate routes for leveling. Mostly all generic kill quests. Long queue times, at least on the server I rolled on. All and all, Warhammer all over again. Sure it's pretty at first. But it becomes really repetitively boring. I don't know, maybe I just went about it wrong, with a Free month of service I still have some time to play around a little more. But overall, I'm bummed.
 Signature 

Warcraft
Reiyudo 100 - Dwarf Shaman
Nfi 85 - Mage |  Bulworth 90 - Warrior

Diablo III
Reiyudo 60 - Wizard

Posted: 02 March 2011 05:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-11-08
I wouldn't be, you need to expect these things. The game got a lot of hype in the last couple months, but before that it was relatively unknown. It was unknown because the company was unknown. Unknown companies get small budgets, comparatively speaking.

I'll say this though, it's the best mmo to come out in a "western" format for some time, certainly better than Conan and WAR. Give the game six months and see where it stands, if it gets enough support then the content and quality will definitely increase and improve.

That said, I'd personally never go into another mmo expecting it to replace wow. My bias for this game aside (Im pretty biased), it's the best the market has to offer, and anytime someone else comes close, Blizzard will just take their great ideas and make them better. The only thing that will get me to stop playing wow (or bring it down) will be Blizzard's new game. That, and Diablo 3. Makes me warm inside just thinking about it.
 Signature 

Kalthuran - 85 Resto Druid
Ramthorn - 85 Prot Warrior
Ciderhelm - 85 Destro Lock
Namaste - 85 Disc Priest
Chochottie (<3 Sadra) - 85 Resto Shaman
Mcraider - 80 Unholy Dk

If addons are just a crutch for healing, forks are just a crutch for eating spaghetti and real carpenters pound in nails with their foreheads.

Posted: 02 March 2011 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
Reiyudo - 02 March 2011 04:02 AM
So. After playing this for a few days now I have become somewhat disappointed already. I mean, it held my interests for a little while but then has turned into a huge let down. The quests are not interesting. The Rifts get old and repetitative after doing about 20 or so. The world is small and everyone in the same level range is in the same zones. There is no alternate routes for leveling. Mostly all generic kill quests. Long queue times, at least on the server I rolled on. All and all, Warhammer all over again. Sure it's pretty at first. But it becomes really repetitively boring. I don't know, maybe I just went about it wrong, with a Free month of service I still have some time to play around a little more. But overall, I'm bummed.

I'm not really sure what you were expecting. What more can a game really do with quests? What faction are you? If you read the quests and get into them some of them are quite amusing in my opinion, I really enjoyed the quicksilver college area. Yeah, there's a lot of kill quests, but if you're not having fun playing your character fighting things then you either need to pick a new role/soul combo, or the game's not for you. It took me 5 tries to find a soul combo I actually had fun with. Before that, I was very "meh" on the gameplay.

The rifts do get a little tiresome, especially if you feel compelled to do every one. I've learned to just skirt them if I'm not 100% in the mood for it. If I'm riding along and there's one and I feel like it, then I'll go "Hell yeah let's mess these fire assholes up." But if I try to hit every rift I see, I get annoyed. The rifts are based on zone pop so there kinda a little nuts right now in the beginning zones.

I wouldn't call the world small, but I would call it limited. There aren't any different options for zones, but the zones are fairly large if you look at it. Azeroth dwarfs Telara, true. But there's still tons to explore (which you should take some time to do).

It may just be that the game's not for you.

Posted: 06 March 2011 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  320
Joined  2010-11-30
So, I change my mind about this game. Leveling really started to slow down and the game became alot more enjoyable. I backed off on the Rifts and started to quest more. I'm hooked.
 Signature 

Warcraft
Reiyudo 100 - Dwarf Shaman
Nfi 85 - Mage |  Bulworth 90 - Warrior

Diablo III
Reiyudo 60 - Wizard

Posted: 31 March 2011 12:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-06-10
RIFT is holding a special Allies of the Ascended event. As my chosen ally, you can use this code to join me during the dates below, free of charge! Heed my call, and together we shall battle the Blood Storm!

Event Dates
10am PDT April 1, 2011 through 10am PDT April 4, 2011

Ally Code

PM 
or Email me 

Visit http://www.RIFTgame.com/en/ally for instructions on how to apply your Ally Code.

I can only use the code 5 times. I will give it to anyone who wants to play this weekend on Gnarlwood with me. I won't be able to play for a good portion of Saturday/Friday Night

3 of 4

Visitor Statistics
 Extras
Total Registered Members: 69
Total Topics: 474
Total Replies: 7369
Total Posts: 7843
The most visitors ever was 88, on November 12, 2014 10:17 PM
Total Logged-in Users: 0
Total Anonymous Users: 0
Total Guests: 11
   RSS 2.0   Atom Feed

EE Discussion Forum - Ver. 2.1.1
Newest Members:  JaylerinaewenDeadhand
Active Members:   

Username:  Remember Me? | Forgot password?
Password:      Not a member? Register | Member List