Remember Me?
 Forgot password? | Register

1 of 2

Music Thread for Ram

Posted: 05 July 2011 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2010-11-30
I promised Ram I'd make a quick write up about not just my favorite bands, but my favorite albums and what to expect from them. So here ya go:

Emperor- All four Emperor albums are brilliant and worth listening to, but anyone unfamiliar with the conventions of Black Metal or any of the extreme genres may be really put off. Emperor is the band that created the "Symphonic Black Metal" sound and each of there albums contains a different development of the ideas of Norse Pantheism and Deistic Satanism. Their first "In the Nightside Eclipse" is their hardest to listen to, their last, Prometheus: the discipline of Fire and Demise," is the most accessible due to the high production values, though my favorite is "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk." Listen to all 4 albums, my reccomended order : Prometheus, Anthems, IX Equilibrium, In the Nightside Eclipse.

Wuthering Heights- I like alot of their material, but "Far From the Maddening Crowd" is by far their best. Its a modern classic to most Prog heads and the most effective albums to use folk elements I've heard. Probably also one of my favorite records of all time.

Immortal- Kings of Black Metal, Immortal has seen and done it all, and changed styles over the years. "Diabolical Fullmoon Mysticism" showcases the early black metal style and may be fun to listen to a few times, but 2004's "Sons of Northern Darkness" is their best, showing a progression toward more thrash styling. "At the Heart of Winter" shows a meeting point of the old and new styles, and is my second favorite.

Symphony X- "The Oddessey" is my favorite. All of their albums have something to like though.

Zyklon- Zyklon is essentially the members of Emperor playing brutal death metal. "Aeon" is my favorite, as well as one of my favorite death metal albums

Death- I like their later work "Symbolic" and "The Sound of Perseverance," which blend death metal and progressive metal, with Black Metal elements. This music is very extreme, definitely an acquired taste like Emperor.

Dimmu Borgir- My favorites are "Puritanical Euphoric Mysanthropia" and "Spiritual Black Dimensions." This is very accessible Black Metal and will be more palettable than Emperor or Immortal if you aren't accustomed to the density of the genre.

Black Sabbath - Not enough space to discuss the most important band of the 20th century, so I'll give some of my favorites from each era. Ozzy: Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Dio: Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules. Tony Martin: Tyr.

Rainbow - I'm only really fan of the Dio era, so I'll say listen to "Rising," a brilliant early prog metal album.

Dio - My favorites from Dio's solo project: Holy Diver, Strange Highways, Killing the Dragon.

Wintersun- They only have 1 album, but DAMN its good. A genre transcending master work and not easily classifiable, even if you need to be prepared for the black metal elements Jari Maenpaa presents throughout the album. More accessible than Emperor, but less so than much of Dimmu Borgir's work or that of Death. Definitely one of my favorite records ever, and it was recorded by just 2 dudes!

Mayhem - Perhaps the most infamous Black Metal Band. "De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas" is a legendary recording, but its harsh and inaccessible and their latest "Ordo ad Chao" represents their creative apex, and I would choose to listen to this one first. Attila's vocals on this are very haunting, but any Mayhem is not for the faint of heart. This is VERY avante guarde metal.

Lost Horizon - Only 2 albums, listen to them both. "Awakening the World" and "A Flame to the Ground Beneath" are masterworks of Power Metal and easily loved by even the most uninitiated metal fan.

Helloween - I'm a fan of early Helloween. "Walls of Jericho," "Keeper of the Seven Keys" pt 1 and 2 are my favorites.

Gamma Ray - The current band of the founder of Helloween, Kai Hansen. "Power Plant" and "Somewhere out in Space" are my favorites.

Rush - 'Nuff said about the biggest name in progressive rock. Every era has something for somebody. Favorite of the 70's is "Farewell to Kings," "Power Windows" I like from their 80's synth based sound. "Moving Pictures" is their most loved album, a good mix of both sounds. Their latest, "Snakes and Arrows" is much more guitar driven than the 80's sound, and very moving.

Hammerfall - First and still the best album is "Glory to the Brave," a metal classic.

Perhaps more to come...
 Signature 

“Sincerity is a much overrated virtue” -Milton Friedman

Posted: 05 July 2011 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1200
Joined  2009-12-10
Stucifer - 05 July 2011 10:03 AM
Wuthering Heights

I too am a fan of Wuthering Heights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW3gKKiTvjs
 Signature 

Litebrite#1603

Sargeras Alliance
Zendalar - Windwalker & Mistweaver Monk
Garofelo - Vengeance Demon Hunter

Posted: 05 July 2011 03:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  320
Joined  2010-11-30
Simply Brilliant!
 Signature 

Warcraft
Reiyudo 100 - Dwarf Shaman
Nfi 85 - Mage |  Bulworth 90 - Warrior

Diablo III
Reiyudo 60 - Wizard

Posted: 07 July 2011 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1332
Joined  2010-11-08
Thx dewd, keep them coming imo!
 Signature 

Kalthuran - 85 Resto Druid
Ramthorn - 85 Prot Warrior
Ciderhelm - 85 Destro Lock
Namaste - 85 Disc Priest
Chochottie (<3 Sadra) - 85 Resto Shaman
Mcraider - 80 Unholy Dk

If addons are just a crutch for healing, forks are just a crutch for eating spaghetti and real carpenters pound in nails with their foreheads.

Posted: 07 July 2011 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-10
You're welcome.
 Signature 

Litebrite#1603

Sargeras Alliance

Posted: 07 July 2011 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  338
Joined  2010-11-30
Since this thread is for Ram, I figured I'd just leave this here too:

http://www.ferret.com/clothes/all-clothes

Posted: 07 July 2011 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2268
Joined  2010-06-28
OMG a Jester Hat! Ram you must get it for your ferret...she can be the guild entertainer.
 Signature 

Lady Wenaeleyn - Balance Druid - Lvl 85

Y___Y
{ o,O } I will polish your flesh with moon anger!
(\___/) Hoot!
(’‘’) (’‘’)

749160rxUzW.png

Posted: 08 July 2011 02:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Wombat Food
Rank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2010-12-01
Whitelight - 05 July 2011 01:07 PM
Stucifer - 05 July 2011 10:03 AM
Wuthering Heights

I too am a fan of Wuthering Heights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW3gKKiTvjs

White... omg White... I wanted to punch you after this!

Good troll.
 Signature 

Posted: 08 July 2011 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2010-12-01
LOL Rush... Here in Canada they basically have to play Rush every 10 songs because they are a Canadian band. It's that or Nickelback, and I'm pretty sure that Nickelback makes people want to kill puppies sooooooo

<3 Rush, though. smile
 Signature 

Sadra, Protection Paladin
Chochotte, Restoration Shaman with Elemental tendencies
Chotto, Discipline Priest

Posted: 08 July 2011 04:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Wombat Food
Rank
Total Posts:  36
Joined  2010-12-05
RAM AND METH

Be on the lookout for these ratio helpers

Portugal. The Man In The Mountain In The Cloud - this should be the biggest
3 Doors Down Time Of My Life
311 Universal Pulse
Cold Superfiction
DJ Khaled We The Best Forever
They Might Be Giants Join Us

Posted: 18 July 2011 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-12-10
Top ISPs agree to become copyright cops

And from another news story:

"Not included in the deal are such companies as Cox Communications, Charter Communications and Qwest."

(My ISP is Charter!)
 Signature 

Litebrite#1603

Sargeras Alliance

Posted: 18 July 2011 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-08
I'm with Cox, Comcast can suck my skinny, infantile penis.
 Signature 

Namaste - 85 Disc Priest
Mcraider - 80 Unholy Dk

If addons are just a crutch for healing, forks are just a crutch for eating spaghetti and real carpenters pound in nails with their foreheads.

Posted: 19 July 2011 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Wombat Food
Rank
Total Posts:  57
Joined  2010-12-01
Whitelight - 18 July 2011 04:12 PM
Top ISPs agree to become copyright cops

And from another news story:

"Not included in the deal are such companies as Cox Communications, Charter Communications and Qwest."

(My ISP is Charter!)

tumblr_li11mcVVdK1qaqvvdo1_400.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 26 July 2011 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  230
Joined  2010-11-30
Thought I'd mention some more stuff I didn't get to:

Kamelot- Fairly big on the prog scene scince "Black Halo," but my favorite albums are from their more power metal influenced era with Khan on vocals, specifically "4th Legacy" and "Karma."

Hammerfall- Classic power metal swedish super group. Not too much variety with this band, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Favorite albums is their debut "Glory to the Brave."

Blind Guardian- Very famous German power metal band. Thier early era is very thrash influenced. A great place to start with this band is their material from the mid 1990s- "Nightfall in Middle Earth" (based on the Silmarilion) and "Imaginations from the other Side." "A Night at the Opera" from 2002 is thier most over the top, but also has the most divided response from fans.

Here's a great Gamma Ray Video; they are one of the best bands I've seen live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYkHnZq0Zco&feature=feedf

More to come...
 Signature 

“Sincerity is a much overrated virtue” -Milton Friedman

Posted: 26 July 2011 05:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-08
Word.
 Signature 

Namaste - 85 Disc Priest
Mcraider - 80 Unholy Dk

Posted: 27 September 2011 09:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-11-08
Steven Wilson, Grace For Drowning.

80m epic prog rock album that you just sit back and vegetate to. Reminds me of Tool before they became tools (does NOT sound like them, just reminds me of how I used to feel listening to Lateralus).
 Signature 

Namaste - 85 Disc Priest
Mcraider - 80 Unholy Dk

1 of 2

‹‹ Happy Birthday Ignius!      Breaking News ››

Visitor Statistics
 Extras
Total Registered Members: 69
Total Topics: 473
Total Replies: 7366
Total Posts: 7839
The most visitors ever was 88, on November 12, 2014 10:17 PM
Total Logged-in Users: 0
Total Anonymous Users: 0
Total Guests: 7
   RSS 2.0   Atom Feed

EE Discussion Forum - Ver. 2.1.1
Newest Members:  JaylerinaewenDeadhand
Active Members:   

Username:  Remember Me? | Forgot password?
Password:      Not a member? Register | Member List